Blind Cords can be Dangerous
What are the standards?
Ensuring home blind cords safety is important.
An average 1-2 children in Australia each year die after being strangled by blind or curtain cords. There are similar deaths regularly occuring around the world; in the US, 200 children died between 1991 and 2005 after being strangled by blind or curtain cords.
These figures are considered to be conservative and do not include those injured or severely brain damaged.
Blind Cord Strangulation
Children can become entangled in blind or curtain cords if they try to use, play with or play around window coverings.
Even where windows are set high into the wall, children can climb onto window sills or furniture to access the cords on the window coverings.
Blind cords or looped cords that become tangled around a child's neck can very quickly lead to strangulation.
Loose cords can also strangle infants sleeping or playing in cots placed near a window where cords are within reach or hanging into the cot.
Make your corded internal window coverings safe
Amazing Clean operators are fully trained in corded internal window coverings safety and they play it safe. Even if you don't have small children of your own, your visitors may.
All rental properties must comply with the new ACCC regulations, so if you are a landlord or property manager contact your local Amazing Clean operator for further information.
Preventing such blind cord tragedies is every home owner's responsibility. The dangers are sadly well-known and fitting home blind cords safety devices is quick and relatively low-cost. There really is no reason not to reduce the risk to children.
For retirement / nursing home blinds cord safety devices and advice, or resort / hotel blinds cords safety devices and advice, please contact Amazing Clean.